1.21.2014

Bye-Bye 2X

Oucheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Oh how I hate to be honest about this but the largest size in my closet right now is a 2X. I can remember when two of me would have fit in some of these clothes. But this is the truth and the reality of how far a person can go when they start to lie to themselves, deceive themselves, and wreck themselves.

No need to drag out all the dirty laundry and hang it on the line, besides, I am putting a lot of that laundry in the washing machine - I don't want no stinky laundry in the back of my closet.  Get clean or get out.  But I do want to say it was the gradual heat that got me.  I was like the toad in the pot of hot water.  Have you ever heard of this?  Supposedly you put a toad in a pan of water and gradually turn up the heat and he won't know it is getting to the boiling point.  That slow gradual climb is not detectable, so they say. Well I was the toad.  Eating what I wanted, when I wanted, in proportions that were not realistic and all the while I was just feeding the demons.

Unfortunately it is a very slippery slope and once you begin to slide, it is hard to find something to grab ahold of. Each pound adds a bit more misery and that grows the demon - bigger and bigger.  Pretty soon the pace has increased on the descent, as the heavier you are, the faster you slide down the slope and the harder it gets to climb out of abyss.

I know I am not telling anyone overweight anything new. I am just putting this out there because today marks a special day for me and I want to preserve a snapshot of this day - old and new. 

I am getting ready to go to a couple of interviews today and I was going through the business appropriate clothes in my closet and picked out a nice, straight line skirt that is a 2 X.  I put it on with my boots and just didn't like the look.  It should have worked, should have been a hit, but it was all baggy and frumpy looking and not the put-together image I was going for.  Looking in the mirror I wondered, is the skirt too big?

Back to the closet I go.  I ordered this skirt online last year and optimistically bought the 1X.  When it arrived it was tooooooo tight but rather than send it back, I kept it, in hopes of one day wearing it, and ordered it in the 2X.  I was so afraid to try on the 1X this morning.  What if it was still too tight?  Then I would just feel worse than I did looking at frumpy, baggy skirt.  My curiosity overrode my fear though and I put on the smaller version.

I'm happy to report, no actually ecstatic to report, the 2X is now in the Goodwill box.  Progress! Visible results! Some really good change is coming from all this change!  I couldn't be happier! I feel better, I look better, and now seeing this reward, I know I will be ready for the next challenge, whatever it is.

In honor of my old friend the 2X I want to say, thanks for covering my butt.  You got me through some tough times and although I don't need you anymore I am going to pass you on to someone who does.  I know you may get lonely in that box while waiting for transport but never fear, some of your buddies will be joining you soon.  Bye Bye 2X! I hope you have a good life but I never want to see you again!

That's All ~ Thanks Y'all!!!!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on the 1X! It really sounds like you're on track for a healthier lifestyle, and it's great you're so honest and aware of thing that have tripped you up in the past.

    Good luck and hope you nailed the interviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interviews went well and just looking forward with optimism. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Once your weight is off you will probably do what I did - buy clothes that are too big because I just couldn't identify with being that smaller size. It really is an emotional thing when our self-image is out of kelter with reality. Keep wearing what fits and just get a couple of things as you go or go to Salvation Army, Good Will, and thrift stores until you are where you want to be. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already confused about my size. Isn't it strange? I can look in the mirror but I really don't trust what I see. I am sure it will get stranger as I go. Good Will is gonna love me though - I hope to give them many many donations this year!

      Delete
  3. That's the best kind of NSV of all! Getting to boot the old too-big clothes feels fantastic. I can't wait to get there myself! I'm back blogging after *ahem* many years away- trying to make my way back up that "slippery slope" I manage to tumble down over the last 3 years. I look forward to seeing more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! Sounds like you have taken the first step by admitting its time to head the other directions! Thanks for commenting and best of luck in your journey!

      Delete
  4. Hello 1X! Feels so good, doesn't it? I am 48 years old, I wore 2x AND 3X for years and years and years....until a few years ago when my blood pressure started shooting up, heartburn settled in, and I felt awful. The switch switched on, and I changed my ways, lost 70+ pounds, and started feeling good. I have sadly gained 20 back, but I am fighting tooth and nail to lose it again and get back on track. I don't know how it even happened:( Reading inspiring blogs like yours helps me so much, especially on hungry evenings!

    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels great! My blood pressure is also off the chart and at times unpredictable. Congrats on your weight loss and I hope you find your way back on track. I know you worked too hard the first time to let it get you again - this is not easy. I agree, reading other people's stories keeps me grounded and I am always learning new things! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on saying goodbye to the 2X's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOHOOO! Champion! Thanks to all who commented, i love seeing kind words on mama's page!

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you have to say....comments, constructive criticism, advice and/or anything else - except trash - I delete that stuff!

(If you want to leave a comment but are not a "blogger" just set up a FREE gmail account with google)