3.13.2011

A New Week - Cooking Greens

Well, tomorrow it's back to work.  I was out all week last week - which is absurd - I think my boss would probably agree.  But I have had this awful viral bronchitis thing with fever and coughing and lots of tissues.  I am now on my third box of Kleenex - that is just crazy - that doesn't even count the mega roll I used up when the tissues ran out. 

I am still coughing and blowing but I know, I have to go back to life and pray I don't relapse but continue to climb out of this.  I don't remember ever missing a week of work in my life.  Anyway, it is what it is.  I will return, hopefully people understand this is not my norm and I can get back to work with little drama.  I have been sooo bored being home.  Just didn't feel like doing anything.

So I feel like I am starting fresh tomorrow.  I made it to the store yesterday, so I am doing some preliminary cooking today for the week.  I am going to cook my two bags of turnip greens - haha. It feels good to be getting back to my routine.  I am glad healthy eating is still on my list.  Many times, an illness has upset a diet and I never returned to it.   This time, I tried to keep eating healthy in and around the times when I gave in, like Friday night when I just didn't feel like cooking and the family had pizza for dinner.  Only two slices and no snacking after and yesterday tried to be healthy.  I feel like I am where I need to be in the process. 

I am not as strict as I could be, but so much better than I used to be.  I can live with that for now.  The scale is moving slowly but realistically.  I can live with that.   I feel like I am eating in a way I could continue eating the rest of my life.  It's like when I gave up frying foods a long time ago, only I have gone to the next level.  

I am happy with this.  I feel balanced in my eating and I am working on my exercising.  I may decide at some point I want to become more rigid and make faster time in this, but for now, slow and steady wins the race. 

What can I say?  It's a new week, and I'm cooking greens. I think that's something to be proud of.

That's all - Thanks ya'll!

4 comments:

  1. cooking greens? Whatever it is, it's good for you since it's a veggie.
    Slow and steady wins the race though getting healthy isn't a race, it's a life time adventure.
    You are doing great. Keep it up.
    Take care my friend. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I thought everyone knew what greens were - sorry. Turnip Greens and yes they are sooo healthy. Like a wonder food - and I just added fresh cooked barley and sliced leeks and made some soup. Wonderfully yum. Next I'm gonna try them with the above and add some portabellos and diced tofu...this might be too many gentle flavors with no leader, but it's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you have been so ill. No fun.

    I too am interested in the scale moving realistically. I am slow and steady and works for me.

    I have never had greens, but your post and comments to Julie makes me want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're feeling better now. Isn't it amazing how simple things like cooking greens can be an "exercise" in joy? I really enjoyed reading your post today. It reminded me that this journey to health is for life and when we take it slow and steady we can enjoy the view along the way. Take care of yourself and stay well.

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you have to say....comments, constructive criticism, advice and/or anything else - except trash - I delete that stuff!

(If you want to leave a comment but are not a "blogger" just set up a FREE gmail account with google)